Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Recycled Planter Boxes

I've mentioned before how we try to recycle as much as possible.....paper, plastic, glass, all the usual stuff.  But, I am always on the lookout for other things we can recycle or, in some cases, "repurpose". 

When we were having our bathroom remodeled last fall, I watched in horror as the remodelers carried load after load of construction materials outside to be hauled to the dump.  I thought surely some of this stuff could be reused.  The pink bathtub (see August 17th blog entry) was broken up into pieces to get it outside, so it was not salvageable.  And, even though the toilet worked, it was cracked.  So, off it went as well. 

However, I noticed the drawers from the old vanity sitting on the porch.  They were in good shape and it occurred to me that they might make good planter boxes.  I mentioned this to Tom and they disappeared for a few weeks only to reappear last week in our greenhouse. 



He drilled holes in the bottom of them and they now have lettuce plants in them.  I'm happy they are serving a useful purpose now and not taking up space in the landfill.

1 comment: