Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Weather Changes

The summer started out okay this year with the first half of June being fairly nice with high temperatures in the 80s and 90s.  Then toward the end of June the triple digits began to appear. 

Toward the end of July we were experiencing daily highs in the 100s.  The heat streak reached a climax on August 1 when the high temperature was 113 degrees the highest temperature ever recorded here in Stillwater!  It was simply awful.

Finally toward the middle of August, things began to cool off.  We had a "cold front" come through on August 18 that dropped the high temperature down to 79 which felt down right frigid after the heat we had experienced.  After that things were "bearable" with temperatures again in the 90s.  I was hoping the triple digit temperatures were gone until next year.

But, the first week of September, the heat monster raised its ugly head again and we had highs in the 100s again.  Then on September 8, we had another cold front come through and we've had mild, pleasant days ever since with highs only in the 80s and even a few 70s.  And, I began to feel alive again!

You may wonder how I kept track of the high temperatures and the days when cold fronts came through.  No, I do not have a log where I record all this.  But, I have found a wonderful website that I think I have mentioned before:


I was looking forward to a pleasant fall with the weather gradually turning cooler.  I really did not expect a frost until well into November.  But, on October 7 & 8 we had low temperatures of 32 and 29, respectively.  This caught us unprepared.  And, honestly, I'm not sure there was much we could have done to protect the plants that had survived the heat of the summer.  

Here is some of the aftermath of the frost.  It is pretty gruesome.

The Basil Patch

A Castor Bean Plant

Now the weather is again pleasant with beautiful fall colors beginning to appear like these:




No comments:

Post a Comment