Friday, June 14, 2013

Tub Trugs

Over the years, we have used all manner of containers for harvesting produce .... some of them we bought new, some were recycled from restaurants, or some we saved from food items we purchased.


But, when you have a lot of different sizes and shapes of containers, they are difficult to store because they don't stack evenly.

This year we were looking through a garden supply catalog and ran across some harvest tubs called "Tub Trugs".  These caught my eye primarily because of the funny name.  But, as I read the description of these, I decided I had to order some and give them a try.  

As it turned out, if you ordered $50 worth of merchandise, then the shipping was free!  Whoopeee!  I am always one to look for a bargain.  So, I figured that I could order 6 of the 3.5 gallon size and get the free shipping.   They came within a week and here is what they look like.


They are great for holding many things.  We trimmed our leeks, put a little water in the bottom of a tub trug and the leeks stayed fresh and were easily transported to the farmers' market the next day.


The 3.5 gallon size, like these, is also the right size for storing heavier produce, such as squash.   Larger containers would be too heavy.


Finally, they are FLEXIBLE.  So, if you only have one hand free, you can still carry them, like this: 


I've got radishes in this one.  So far, we are really happy with them.  We'll see how they hold up and may order some more next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment