Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Stainless Steel Compost Bucket

Several years ago we were given a plastic compost bucket at our city recycling center.  It held about a gallon.  I kept it under my kitchen sink and put kitchen waste in it .... coffee grounds, peelings, etc. When it got full, I'd take it outside and empty it into our compost pile outside by the garden.  I even wrote a blog about it.

http://windyacresnaturalfarm.blogspot.com/2010/07/kitchen-compost-bucket.html

That post was 3 years ago and the little green bucket served us well.  But, over the years the plastic deteriorated inside and there was no way to keep it clean.  So, I have been yearning for a new compost bucket.  I wanted one that was stainless steel.

Finally, I found one on Amazon.com and here it is.


The lid has holes and there is a charcoal filter in the lid that allows air to circulate, but keeps odors at bay.  So far, I've been really happy with it. 

If you have never composted before and would like to get started, try getting a compost bucket for your kitchen scraps.  Then, just bury the contents in your garden when it is full.  The microbes in the soil will break it down and add nutrients to the soil.  Composting does not have to be a complicated process and it will put your kitchen waste to a good cause and keep it out of the landfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment