Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Bread for Chickens

Chickens will eat just about anything and I occasionally feed them stale bread and other kitchen left-overs.  In fact, they have got to where they will cluster against the side of their pen when they see me coming in anticipation of whatever succulent goody I might have for them.



Last summer, I caught grasshoppers and threw in the pen.  It was quite a circus to watch as they madly chased the grasshoppers.  However, during the winter, we have to forego the grasshoppers.  On this particular day last fall, I took them some stale bread.  Yum!  I have learned from experience to hold the plastic bag high out of their reach.  Otherwise, they grab hold of it with their beaks and tear holes in it before I can get the bread out.  They can be quite impatient.



If there isn't enough of a particular food item (like a grasshopper) to go around, then they will squabble and fuss over it, the others chasing after the one that has it.  So, I make sure to break the bread up into smaller pieces so there is enough for everyone to have a piece of their own.



Ahhhh.  Peace and happiness for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment