Saturday, February 8, 2014

Homemade Noodles

Now that I have retired and have more time, I'm reviving some of my cooking skills that I lost over the years after the kids left home.  So many times in the past few years, I have arrived home after a day at the office and wondered what on earth we were going to do for dinner.  Usually, it was something really simple, like baked potatoes with toppings or mac and cheese.  All too often we ended up going out to eat.  So, I'm trying to getting back in the groove of planning meals and cooking.  

My friend, Pat, is an excellent cook and makes homemade noodles for her family's gatherings.  So, I dug out her recipe and decided to give it a try.  There are only 4 ingredients:  2 eggs, 4 tablespoons milk, 1 teaspoon salt and about 2 cups flour.  

I am bad about not reading a recipe all the way through before I begin.  What I was supposed to do was to mix the salt, eggs and milk together and then add the flour a little at a time until it formed a stiff dough.  What I actually did was just dump everything in a bowl.   Fortunately, it turned out okay anyway.



Mix it all together until it forms a ball of dough.



It may be a little sticky, but you can add more flour as you work it.  Next turn the dough out onto a floured surface.



Knead it a few strokes, working in more flour as needed until you have a smooth ball.



Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.  Then, divide the ball into 2 pieces to make it easier to roll out.



Roll out the first piece.



When you have it rolled out, cut it into strips using a pizza cutter.  A sharp knife will do if you don't have a pizza cutter.







Put these on pieces of newspaper to dry or use a cooling rack and repeat with the second ball of dough.



Once the noodles are dry, they can be put in freezer bags and frozen for future use.  Or, cook them immediately.

The noodles should be cooked in chicken broth.  You can make your own broth by boiling a whole chicken in water to cover.  Cook until the meat falls off the bones.  This can be done while you are making the noodles.  

To cook the noodles, drop them in boiling chicken broth and cook about 15 - 20 minutes until tender.  Shred the chicken and add to the noodles.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Reheat and serve.

Finally, be sure to check your clothing to make sure you don't have any stray flour that needs to be dusted off.



2 comments:

  1. Are those your handprints or was Tom helping you in the kitchen?

    I use my KA pasta attachment when I make noodles but have often wondered if a rolling pin wouldn't be just as easy.

    Cindy A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Those are my handprints. I'm just a very messy cook.

      Delete