Sunday, August 16, 2015

New Nest Box

Our youngest chickens have started laying eggs.  They are so much smaller than the older chicken eggs.  It is pretty amusing!


The first of these eggs we found was not in a nest box.  It was out in the grass.  Then we found one on the floor of the coop.  Obviously, these young ladies were new to this and needed to learn what the nest boxes were for.  So, I caught each one separately and stuck them in one of the nest boxes to give them a chance to look around and, hopefully, figure out the appropriate place to lay an egg.

However, the next day, I found yet another egg on the floor of the coop.  Then, I noticed that all the nest boxes were in use by the older chickens.  Hmmmm.  Could it be that we needed another nest box to accommodate everyone?  Tom built the first set of nest boxes, but  we truly do not have room for another set that big.  We hardly have room for even one additional nest box.  Plus, it is a busy time in the garden and I didn't want Tom to feel he had to spend a lot of time building a new nest box.

I had seen already-built nest boxes somewhere and decided to go "nest shopping".  I found one at our local Atwoods farm store.  It is made of plastic and will be easy to keep clean.  It was also easy to install with only 4 screws required.  Here it is.



As soon as it was installed, I went through the routine again of picking each young chicken up and putting her in the new nest.   I was rewarded the next day with this.



So far the only eggs I have found in it are little eggs laid by the young girls.  I think perhaps it is too small for the Rhode Island Red chickens' liking.  They are a large, heavy breed and the opening to this new nest box is a little smaller.  So, I really do not expect them to use it.  However, that is okay.  It is just perfect for the young chickens and they will have their own special box.

No comments:

Post a Comment