Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mulberry Tree

In my blog entry about our Sand Plum bushes, I mentioned that we had gotten our sand plum bushes from our state forestry department and gave a link to their website in the blog.  See below:


I mentioned we had ordered a "wildlife" package from the forestry service.  This package contained several different types of trees and shrubs that provide food and cover for birds and other wildlife.  Besides the sand plums, several Mulberry Trees were included.  

We had a mulberry tree beside the house when we lived in town.  It was one that had grown up voluntarily, probably from seed deposited from a passing bird.   Mulberry trees can be a nuisance if they are growing near a patio or sidewalk where the fruit can drop and cause a mess.  The one we had in town was over near the corner of the house and was out of the way, so we didn't have that problem.  It also provided nice shade in the summer time for a south window.  So, I liked the tree.  However, the fruit from our tree was quite tasteless.  So,  I never went to the trouble to gather it or cook with it.

Anyway, we planted the Mulberry trees that came in the wildlife package around our 5 acres here on the farm.  Here is a picture of one of them.


It is still rather small.  But, last week when I was walking by I noticed something red among its leaves.  Upon further inspection, here is what I saw.


I was amazed that it already was producing fruit and decided to taste one.  Mulberries are ripe when they turn black, so I tried one of the black ones.  OH MY!  Was it good!  Unlike the fruit from our tree in town, this little tree has very sweet fruit.  So, I picked several just to eat for a snack.


Unfortunately, there are not enough this year for anything other than snacking.  However, I searched the Internet for recipes in anticipation of having enough next year for a pie.  I was surprised to find several references to mulberries.  

Here is a recipe for a pie from Allrecipes.com that has 4.5 stars.


Here is a link for making Mulberry Jam.


Here is an interesting link about foraging wild food and mentions making wine from overly ripe mulberries.


So, there is a wealth of information out there about mulberries and their uses.  If you don't have  a mulberry tree at your house, keep your eye out for one.  You may be surprised to find one growing in your neighborhood that you can pick from.  If you do, I hope it has good fruit like this little tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment