Sunday, April 7, 2013

Transplanting Techniques

We are almost finished transplanting the peppers and tomatoes from the seed starting trays and into the pots where they will grow until being set out in the garden.  I shared the new method I was using to start the seeds this year in the following post.


So, now I want to share how I go about transplanting the seedlings into the pots.  This post shows the last set of peppers to be transplanted.  First, fill a flat of pots with potting soil.


The potting soil is usually pretty dry.  So, I like to water it some before I start.


Then, I use a marker to make a hole in the middle of each pot.


Next, I gently pry a "fork full" of seedlings out of the seedling tray, like this.


And, gently separate the little plants.


Then, using the marker, I gently push the roots of the seedling into the hole in one of the pots.


Finally, I water the plants to help settle their roots into the soil and set them under lights in our basement.




No comments:

Post a Comment