Sunday, June 30, 2013

How to Make Yogurt

On weekdays my favorite breakfast is plain yogurt mixed with mandarin oranges sprinkled with granola.  I never get tired of this combination.  I used to buy yogurt at the store until I learned how easy it is to make.




You need the following ingredients.

  • Half gallon of milk (whole, low-fat or skim)
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup (adds a slight bit of sweetness) 
  • 1/3 cup of powdered milk (adds creaminess)
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
.  You also need a cooking thermometer, like this.


Here's what you do.  First, pour the milk into a sauce pan.  I always use Braum's 1% milk.  Attach the thermometer to the pan and start heating the milk.


I use a medium heat and stir it occasionally.  Keep an eye on the temperature.  You want to heat it to between 180 and 185 degrees Fahrenheit.  Not quite there yet in this picture.


Once it reaches 180 - 185 degrees, then remove from heat and let it cool down to 115 degrees.  I set it on the counter, cover it with a kitchen towel and stir it every 5 minutes or so for the first 20 minutes to keep a film from forming on the top.

It will take longer than you expect to cool down, but once it reaches 115 degrees, add the following:


  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup powdered milk
  • 1/2 cup of starter yogurt
 Stir until everything is mixed together well and there are no clumps of starter yogurt.   Then,
 ladle it into clean glass jars and cover with lids.  They can be used lids since they do not need to seal.


Next, you have to incubate it for several hours at between 105 and 115 degrees.  There are many ways to do this.    For example, you can set the jars in a styrofoam ice chest to which warm water has been added and keep changing the water to keep it in the desired temperature range.  There are also special yogurt incubators you can purchase.  Whatever you do, you have to keep the temperature constant in the 105-115 range.

I found that my food dehydrator works great.  The drying racks come out and leave plenty of room for the jars of yogurt.


It also has temperature settings and a timer along with a table listing the item you are drying/making and the temperature to use.  Note, the temperature for yogurt is 115 degrees.


So, set the temperature for 115 and set the timer for about 6 hours.  Close it up and go on about your business.



After 4 hours, I begin checking the jars.  I take one out and turn it on its side.  When it is no longer "watery" and pulls away from the side of the jar, then it is ready.  Don't worry too much about "over-cooking" it.  The first couple of times I made yogurt, I set the timer for about 10 hours!  It turned out okay, but was not as creamy as I like it.  I found the using a shorter incubation time works better.  You may just have to see what works best for you.

This is what it looks like when it is finished.  I think I incubated this batch a little too long, but it tasted great anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment