Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Spittle Bug

Have you ever seen something that looks like this on a plant?



I've heard the foamy stuff was made by some sort of insect.  So, this time I took the opportunity to check it out.  This is what I found.


It is an odd-looking little creature, called a Spittlebug (what else?).  Apparently, there are several kinds of spittlebugs and this is not the full-grown bug, but the nymph stage of one of them.  

The frothy spittle serves several purposes. It hides the nymph from predators, insulates it against heat and cold, and keeps it from drying out.  Sometimes, the nymphs pierce plants and suck sap causing damage to the host plant.  But, the only type of plant I have noticed them on are some of the wildflowers that we have growing in the field in front of the house.   From what I could determine, some of them can be serious pests in alfalfa fields.  But, they don't seem to bother the wildflowers much, so I'm just going to enjoy them for the odd little insect they are.



No comments:

Post a Comment