Sunday, July 21, 2013

Okra Scramble

Okra is beginning to come into season.  It is one of my favorite vegetables and seems like I've been waiting an eternity for it.   While many people do not like okra and it is often considered a "southern" food, I've found a way to cook it that I think anyone will like.   So, give this a try.

First, rinse the okra pods and drain in a colander.  You probably know that most okra is green and you may not have ever seen any red okra. Today, I had 4 pods of red that I threw in with the green.  Do not dry the pods.  Leave them a little damp.



Slice the okra into about half inch slices and put in a bowl.



Sprinkle in some salt and pepper to taste and then add 2 - 3 tablespoons of cornmeal.  Mix until all the okra slices have been coated with cornmeal.


Next, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to a skillet and add the cornmeal-coated okra.  I use a wok for cooking the okra.  I bought this wok at a clearance sale one time.  It was an expensive pan, but was on sale for half price, so I couldn't pass it up!   I have found it is good for much more than stir-fries.  And, as you can see, it has been well used.


Cook over medium heat, stirring often to keep it from burning.


After a few minutes, you will notice that the red okra turns a dark green.  The slice on the left is a piece of red okra.



Now, here is the secret of this recipe that makes it so good.  When the okra is tender, beat an egg with a fork.
  

And, pour it into the pan with the okra.  Then, stir it around quickly so that the egg breaks up into small pieces and coats the okra pieces.


Today, I served this as the main course, along with mashed potatoes, corn on the cob and tomatoes.  Everything on the plate came from our garden.


Even Tom, who is a mostly "meat and potatoes" sort of guy, likes okra fixed this way.  So, I encourage you to be adventuresome and give this a try.  You may discover that you like okra after all!


2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that you shared this recipe! There is one similar published in Baker Creek's seed catalog that I can't find now that I want it and this is similar to what I remember reading.

    ReplyDelete