Monday, August 19, 2013

Blooming Mint and Butterflies

I have 3 kinds of mint......peppermint, spearmint and chocolate mint.  I wrote a blog about the chocolate mint a couple of years ago.

http://windyacresnaturalfarm.blogspot.com/2011/02/bad-idea.html

It has been relegated to an area on the north side of one of our outbuildings where it has to compete with the weeds.  That has pretty much kept it under control and I still take cuttings from it ever so often to sell at the market.

The spearmint is a very polite mint and has not been bad about spreading outside its bed and attempting to take over the world like the chocolate mint did.  It is my favorite one and is usually what I end up taking to the market every week.  It has a mild, almost sweet, flavor.  Just very nice.

As a result of my favoring the spearmint, the peppermint has become an unruly child.  It has grown to be about 2 feet tall and is spreading.  Geesh.  Why did I not learn my lesson with the chocolate mint?

The only good thing about it is that it is blooming and has rather very pretty, soft flowers.  Here is a picture of it:


If you look closely, you'll see butterflies going after these flowers.  They must love the flowers because there are a lot of butterflies and there are several different kinds.

I attempted to take pictures of them, but they didn't cooperate very well.  However, I did get the following pictures.





There are 3 distinct types of butterflies represented here.  My favorite is the one in the middle picture, the kind of gray one with the big spots on its wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment