Saturday, December 13, 2014

Preserving Garden Goodness - Dried Dill

Dill is one of my favorite herbs.  In addition to its lovely smell and culinary uses, it has pretty fern-like foliage.  I enjoy adding it to green beans, as in this recipe:


Dill is an annual and does best in cool weather.  As the weather heats up, it quits producing foliage and sends up flower stalks.  The flowers themselves are tiny, but grow in clusters that are several inches in diameter.  These are sometimes used in canned dill pickles.  

I planted dill in the spring, enjoyed it while it lasted, and left it to make seed.  In September, I was rewarded with a second crop that grew from these seed.  I preserved much of it for winter use by drying it in bunches.


Hangers in my laundry room made excellent drying racks for both dill and cayenne peppers.


After the bunches dried, I trimmed off the stems with a pair of kitchen scissors.....


Put them in the food processor and pulsed them until they looked like this.



There were a few errant stems that had to be discarded and the remainder was sealed in a plastic bag ready for use.








No comments:

Post a Comment