Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Aloe Vera Farm

On a recent trip to south Texas, we visited an aloe vera farm.  When I say "south Texas", I mean SOUTH Texas, like 5 miles from the Rio Grande boarder with Mexico.  We were there visiting a couple of friends who go there to spend the winter.  We've been to visit them a couple of times and this time they took us to a farm where they raise aloe vera.  


Here's a picture of a field where workers were harvesting the aloe leaves.



The aloe was in bloom while we were there.  It has a beautiful bloom.


So pretty, in fact, that folks plant them in their flower beds.  Here's a picture of one that our friends have in a bed beside their RV.  


After the field tour, we got to see where they grow the plants that they set out on the farm.  


Every few years, they have freezes in that part of the country that damages and/or kills aloe plants.  So, they have to maintain a supply they can use to replant from. 

These plants will live for many years (provided there are no killing frosts) and can grow to very large plants with huge leaves, like this one that was on display inside the on-farm store.


As you probably know, the leaves contain a soothing gel that is used in many different products.  They had a variety of these for sale in the store.


I have several potted aloe plants that I keep on hand and propagate.  I've used their leaves  many times to soothe burns and stop poison ivy from itching.

It was a long trip back to Oklahoma from south Texas.  We made a 2-day drive of it and stopped often to stretch our legs and take a break.  At one convenience store we stopped at I found that they sold several flavors of an aloe vera juice drink.


I've heard the juice was healthy and good for you, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.  I think I'd have to add a lot of sugar to make it suit my taste and that would surely negate any healthy properties it possessed.



No comments:

Post a Comment