Friday, December 8, 2017

Winter Walk and Frost Flowers

Winter has finally arrived.  Last night it was in the teens and today the high temp is supposed to be in the 40s.  However, that did not keep Sally and I from going on our morning walk.  This is Sally.


She is patiently waiting for me to get my shoes on.  Once that is accomplished, we are off.  We usually head out to the road through our front meadow.  We mow this 2-3 times a year, but always leave clumps of grasses to add interest in the fall and winter when the wildflowers are not in bloom.


The cat usually tags along, as well.


This morning the grass was frosty and we could see some deer trails through the frost.


I also noticed some small icy clumps in the grass.  I've learned these are called "frost flowers".


Here's a closer look at one.


Sometimes these form into "ribbons" and are really beautiful, like this one.


There is a row of cedar trees across the road from us.  The female trees have berries, like those below, which are a dusty blue color.  Beautiful!


Finally, I love this picture I took a while back of the road that goes by our place.


It reminds me of the old John Denver song, Take me Home Country Road.  

No comments:

Post a Comment