Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hats

It is important for anyone who works out in the sun to take precautions.....long sleeves, sun screen and a hat. Tom is a red-head. Uh...that is WAS a red head until he turned gray the last few years. At any rate, he still has the sensitive skin that usually accompanies red hair and, therefore, takes these precautions seriously.


Several years ago my sister gave him a hat for Christmas. It was a sturdy cloth hat with a wide brim and Tom wore it all the time. Ever so often, it would get dirty and stained with sweat. That never seemed to bother him.   But, then I'd notice how bad it had become and would ask him, "You didn't wear THAT to town, did you?!!"  And, I would throw it in the washing machine and hang it in the sun to dry. Over the years, after many washings, it grew pretty ragged and, for Christmas, I "hinted" to the kids that he needed a new one. Sure enough, he was presented with a brand new (clean and unstained) hat.  See old hat and new hat comparison below.



I think he misses his old hat and he still wears it around the farm occasionally, but at least now he has a new one to wear to town without embarrassing me!

1 comment: