Sunday, March 7, 2010

Spring Weather

It was a beautiful, spring-like weekend and we made the most of it gardenwise.  I got the tomato seeds started.  I think there were 13 varieties in all.  I used the same process to start them that I used to start the pepper seeds last weekend.  See the post on "Pepper Planting" to read about that process.  (BTW - The pepper plants are all up now.) 

I also did some work on my new herb beds that I am trying to get established.  At our house in town, I had the usual culinary herbs: thyme, oregano, sage, rosemary, fennel and the like.  These are all perennials and come back year after year.  I transplanted as many of these as I could into pots and brought them with me when we moved.  However, I was so overwhelmed with moving and getting settled that I was unable to get a new herb garden going here at the farm before winter set in.  So, they over-wintered in pots in our hoophouse.   Last fall, Tom built several raised beds for me and now I've started working on getting the herbs transplanted into their new home. 

Tom started planting onions.  We usually buy the small onion plants that are bundled together in bunches to set out.   You see these for sale at various places around town, even the grocery stores.  However, we bought a crate of them in OKC last weekend.  I'm not sure how many he got planted, but it will likely take him a couple of weeks to get them all set out.  He also planted Dwarf Gray Sugar Peas and erected a "pea" fence for them to climb on.  We've not had real good luck with snow peas and sugar snap peas in the past.  I'm hoping that we got them planted early enough this year and that the weather cooperates so we have a nice crop this year.

Here's Tom's "pea" fence:

No comments:

Post a Comment