Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A New Year

In 2009, I gave a lot of thought to starting a blog about our Farmers Market business and Windy Acres Natural Farm.  But 2009 was a year of transition for us in which we moved from our home in town to our 5-acre farm.  I never realized how difficult it would be to sort through 25 years of possessions and get them all moved just 6 miles across town to our new abode.  And, getting them moved was only half the chore because then I had to figure out where to PUT them.  Needless to say, many things just did not fit and we ended up selling and giving away a lot of things.  It was a BIG job and I am just now beginning to feel like I have things under control enough to start a blog.  So, here I am.

First, maybe I should give some background of how we got to this point in our lives.  Tom is 62 and I am 59.  I still work full time, but Tom retired from OSU several years ago.  After a few months of retirement, he got bored and took over most of the gardening and composting that we had going in our back yard at our house in town.  It flourished under his hand and I somewhat jokingly suggested we join the local Farmers Market.   We ended up doing exactly that! 

The next year a friend who lived in the country offered to let us use an old garden spot that his dad worked before he fell into ill health.  That worked out great and our Farmers Market business did well.  So, we started looking for some land of our own.  After a couple of years, the perfect place came up for sale, 5 acres of land close to town with 2 large out buildings and a house, and Windy Acres Natural Farm was born. 

Having been long time readers of Organic Gardening, we wanted to offer our customers good produce grown without pesticides and artificial fertilizers.  This is sometimes a challenge, we win some and lose some.  But, we've found it is a journey that we want to share with our customers and anyone else who is interested.  So, stay tuned.  My hope is that I can keep this blog updated at least weekly, if not daily, with our daily struggles and triumphs here on Windy Acres Natural Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment