Saturday, October 1, 2011

Food Additives and Tom's Toothpaste

For a several years, I  have been reading the labels on things.  I have a grandson who has a health condition which is irritated by corn products.  As a result, he has to avoid anything containing high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).  So, at first, I just started reading food labels trying to avoid buying anything with HFCS in it.  I was shocked at the number of manufactured foods that contain it!  I challenge you to try to find any non-diet soda pop or kid's cereals you see advertised on TV that does not contain HFCS.

Then I started noticing all the other "non-food" ingredients that were in the food I was buying.  A package of taco shells has something called TBHQ listed in the ingredients with (preservative) beside it.  A can of ripe olives has "ferrous gluconate" listed "to stabilize color".  And, a can of blackeyed peas has "disodium EDTA" added for "color retention".  No wonder we are all getting cancer with these artificial ingredients in all our food!

As a result of all this, I've begun to get a little paranoid about what I put in my mouth.  So, the other day, I needed to buy toothpaste and I'm at the store looking at all the different kinds of toothpaste.  Just for Crest alone, there's Crest Pro-Health Enamel Shield, Crest Pro-Health Gel, Crest Multi-Benefit Tartar Control, Crest 3D White Vivid, Crest Cavity Protection Gel and on and on and on.

Then I saw this brand:

There was only one kind of this brand on the shelf and it contains no artificial colors, flavors, fragrances or preservatives.   Its website  http://www.tomsofmaine.com/business-practices
states that they use no animal testing and are devoted to sustainable manufacturing practices and recycling.  They even donate 10% of their profits to human and environmental goodness.

Guess which brand of toothpaste I bought. 

1 comment:

  1. Beware that some of this brand still have sodium fluoride in it. I am sensitive to it and have given up on many toothpastes from a tube!

    ReplyDelete