Saturday, February 25, 2012

Peach Tree Chilling

I love peaches and have wanted to have a peach tree for years.  There was not room for one in our tiny yard in town.   So when we move here to the farm, I had high hopes of planting one.  The first year we were here, we were too busy just trying to cope with tending 5 acres to worry about planting trees.  The second year, we sort of had things under control, but got busy and, before we knew it, it was much too late to plant trees.  But, last spring we had our act together enough that when we noticed our local Atwoods store had fruit trees for sale, we bought a couple of them.


Unfortunately, if you've read this blog this past year, you know that it was the hottest, driest and worst summer on record since the 1930s!   But, knowing how much I loved peaches and wanted those trees to survive, my wonderful husband kept them watered for me.  If it had been up to me, I'm sure they would have died.  They are planted a good ways from the nearest water hydrant.  So, watering them entailed stringing a hose out there to them or carrying water to them.  In either case, not a fun job in 100 degree weather.


Today I noticed they seem very much alive and even have buds that are beginning to swell.






Here is a closer look at the buds I mentioned.




I'm somewhat concerned that it is going to bloom before our last frost this year.  I doubt that I will have many, if any, peaches this year since the trees are so small, but I sure won't have any if the blooms are all killed by a frost.


So, I did a little research about what makes trees bloom early like this.  What I found is very interesting.   Apparently, all fruit trees need to go through a certain number of hours below 45 degrees and above 32 degrees in order to produce a successful crop.  This period is called the "chilling hours" for that species of tree.  If the chilling hour requirement is not met, then the tree is likely to bloom too early and a late frost will kills the blossoms.


The best source I found on this topic is the following link: 


http://ag.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/hort/byg/archive/chillingreq.html


Hopefully, my trees will receive the right number of chilling hours and reward me with luscious peaches......if not this year, then maybe next.

No comments:

Post a Comment