Monday, September 29, 2014

Cilantro Resurrected

Cilantro is an herb that only grows during cool weather here in Oklahoma (spring and fall).  When the weather begins to get hot (in early June), then cilantro starts flowering and making seeds for the next generation.

This is what my cilantro looked like on June 2 this past summer.


The flowers turn into little "berries", like these.


When these berries ripen, they dry and become the seed of the plant.



The seed are the spice we call Coriander.  I harvested some of these for use this winter. 



However, I left quite a few and allowed them to fall to the soil where I hoped they would sprout when the weather became cooler.

Today, I noticed I have a whole new crop of cilantro that has begun to grow from these seed.  



I see some cilantro-lime rice and fresh salsa in my future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment