Thursday, November 6, 2014

Chickens Like Pepper Seeds

A few weeks ago I wrote an entry about the cayenne peppers that I was drying.


At that time, I also had a few Poblano peppers that I wanted to dry as well.  I tried stringing them up, like I did the Cayenne peppers, but they were too large and thick to dry well and most of them ended up getting moldy.  So, I decided to de-seed them, cut them into pieces and dry them in my dehydrator.


Afterwards, I had a bunch of seeds that I thought might be of interest to the chickens.  I put them in a pan and stood back to see what they would do with them.  It turned out that they loved the pepper seeds and ate every single one.


The three old girls were first to investigate.  But, before long the younger chickens showed up to check things out.


At the time I took this picture, we still had Pretty Boy, the rooster.  That's him on the left examining a piece of pepper.  He would have made a fine rooster.  However, I have noticed more intermingling between the young hens and the old girls since we sold him and the flock seems to be a more cohesive unit now.  So, I feel we made the right decision to let him go.

No comments:

Post a Comment