Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Smart Pots

I am a dedicated fan of the program Oklahoma Gardening on our local PBS station OETA.  In fact, ninety percent of the programs I watch are on that station, but that is beside the point.  A few months ago, I watched a segment where they were using "Smart Pots".  These are produced by an Oklahoma wholesale company.  Here's a link to their website.


These are soft-sided fabric containers that can be used to grow a wide range of fruits, vegetables and ornamental plants.   Technically, they are called "aeration bags".  The cloth provides aeration to the roots to encourage healthy growth. I decided to give these a try and ordered two of them.  Here is one of them filled with potting soil.


The fabric sides encourage roots to "air prune" or branch when they encounter the edge of the container.  This prevents roots from circling around the container.   The smart pot stays cooler than many other containers because it is breathable and able to release heat through the fabric.

Smart Pots are being extensively used by a Canadian non-profit organization that spreads awareness of urban agriculture.  One of their prominent demonstration sites is located at Quebec’s National Assembly.  This site showcases edible gardens in 200 square feet of bed space using Smart Pots.


I planted a parsley plant in one of the pots I purchased.


I have trouble getting parsley to produce well in our hot Oklahoma summers.  I'm hoping that using this Smart Pot will help with that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment