Thursday, January 28, 2016

Update on the Peacock

It is about time that I gave an update on PeteyPi, our peacock.  If you have forgotten how he got this rather odd name, here is my original blog about him.  


So, here he is today.


If you recall he was only 2 years old when we got him and won't be 3 until this spring.  Because peacocks do not get their full tail feathers until they are 3, then he still has a way to go.  But, he is getting there.  He has a few "eye spots" and they are beautiful.


Because he is such a large bird, we installed a couple of 2X6s in his shelter as roosts for him.


Here he is jumping from the top roost to the bottom.


Today I decided he needed a better feeder.  His old feeder was made of plastic and was too shallow.  A lot of food was knocked out onto the ground and wasted.


So, I bought him a bigger feeder that is made of metal and is deeper.   He was very curious about it.



And, walked all around it.  Even jumped up on the straw bale in the corner to get a better look at it.










Finally, he decided to try it out.


Then, I cleaned and refilled his water dish and he tried that out too.


 I have gotten quite attached to this silly bird.  I sometimes give him treats, like this lettuce that I recently had left over from a salad.


 It is amazing the things he can do with his neck and head.  He can stretch his neck out long, like the picture of him on the straw bale, or scrunch it up, like the above picture.  He can also turn his head 180 degrees!

So, that's the latest on PeteyPi.  Hope you enjoy the pictures and find him as beautiful as I do!











No comments:

Post a Comment