Tuesday, October 22, 2019

It's been a long year

I've not posted anything here in almost a year.  So much has happened.  It's been a whirlwind of a year.  Here's a short list: 

  • We moved to a new house that will accommodate our aging knees and other body parts.  This entailed the following:
    •  Moving our furniture and other belongings
    •  Building a new chicken pen and moving them
    •  Building new garden beds 
    •  Down sizing and getting rid of stuff
  •  Surgery which took a while from which to recover
  •  A death in the family
  •  A bobcat got into the chicken pen and decimated our flock.  We had to get new chicks this spring.  Basically had to start over from scratch.

I hope you can see why I have not posted anything in a good while.  I have posted to our Facebook page because I can post comments and pictures easily from my phone.  



We no longer attend our farmers' market regularly.  However, we were able to grow a lot of veggies for ourselves, family and neighbors.  We are still devoted to using organic methods in our garden.

For this post, I have copied some of the pictures and comments from our Facebook page.
My new favorite way to freeze peppers is to roast them first. Then slip skins off, de-seed and put in snack bags. I was able to fit 5 of these in a quart storage bag. When bell peppers are called for in a recipe, just open one of the snack bags and use a knife to hack off some and use in the recipe.




Here are some of the first eggs from our new flock of chickens.


The brown ones are from the Australorps, a breed of Australian origin that is solid black.  The blue/green one is from an Americauna, an American breed of domestic chicken developed in the United States in the 1970s, and derives from Araucana chickens brought from Chile.  I caught this picture of our new flock on one of our game cameras.  


No comments:

Post a Comment