Sunday, January 25, 2015

Texas Chicken

We took a short vacation a couple of weeks ago.  We were gone a week during which we visited friends in south Texas.  These are friends who spend the winter near McAllen, Texas.  They have a small travel trailer parked in a large mobile home park that caters specifically to senior adults.  There are daily activities covering all areas of interest ... card games, pool tournaments, bicycling, quilting classes, water exercise.  You name it, they've got it.

We spent two days there and had a blast!  And, of course, we had to go shopping for souvenirs.  I didn't want something that would just sit around and gather dust.  So, I ended up buying, what else, but a chicken!  A chicken flower pot, that is.  


Isn't she beautiful!  I was excited to get her home and introduce her to our other girls.  I was sure they would love her.  I set her on the ground in their pen and here's what happened.


They wouldn't go near her.  I even put lettuce leaves all around her and they still wouldn't venture close.  They love lettuce and normally I have to fight them off when I go in the pen with lettuce.  But, nope, they weren't going to have anything to do with it as long as the brightly colored intruder was there.

So, for now my new chicken is gracing my covered porch where she keeps me company when it is warm enough to sit out there with my morning coffee.  This summer she will be filled with petunias or other bright flowers.  She may not be alive, but she sure is pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment