Monday, January 12, 2015

Scissor Happy

My preference in kitchen scissors has evolved over time.  Here is a picture of the ones I currently own.


I've had the orange-handled pair on the left and the pair next to them for several years.  It was nice to have two pairs in case one pair got misplaced (which happens often!).  

When we started our farmers' market business, I ended in charge of the herb garden and needed a good pair of scissors to use for cutting herbs.  I started out using the orange pair, but found they got gummy and dirty quickly.  In order to clean them, they had to be taken apart.  This was a pain in the patootie for it involved getting a screwdriver to loosen the bolt that held them together.  The black pair was no better.

The problem was solved when I found the third pair from the left.  When turned over, you'll see they are held together by a small piece of metal on one side that fits into a rectangular hole on the other side.


When opened up all the way, the metal piece will slip through the hole and they come apart.  This makes for easy cleaning.


I use this pair for heavy duty work, like cutting thick basil stems, where I gather several stalks together and cut them all at one time.  It goes faster that way.  I liked this pair so well that I bought a pair of real "herb" scissors (the shorter green-handled pair on the right) for lighter work.  They come apart in the same manner.

Believe it or not, I use all 4 pair for various chores.  I've decided you can never have enough scissors!


No comments:

Post a Comment