Monday, March 2, 2015

Plant Starting Techniques - Chamomile

As I write this, there is snow on the ground and spring seems a far way off.  However, it's already time to start tomato, pepper and herb plants for the 2015 garden.  

The past 3 or 4 years, I have used a method I saw on the internet that uses row trays.  This method saves space and I can start a lot of varieties of plants in a small space.  Here's a blog entry I wrote on this method.


I didn't start out using this way of starting seeds. Gardening is a creative endeavor for us and each year we build on previous years' successes and failures.  The first year we decided to start our own tomato and pepper plants, we didn't have the row trays described in the above article.  I'm not sure what gave me the idea to use those clear clam shell containers, like you buy berries in at the supermarket. Maybe it was just that they reminded me of miniature greenhouses.  And, although I have started using row trays for the bulk of our seeds, I still use the clam shell method for most of my herb plants....mainly because I only grow a few types of herbs.  A row tray has 20 rows in it and I don't need that many for herbs.

Today, I planted chamomile using the clam shell method.  There are two different types of chamomile, Roman (or English) chamomile, a perennial, and German (or Hungarian) chamomile, an annual.  I planted the German type.  I believe it has the best flavor for tea.



To prepare the clam shell, I cut a small piece of newspaper to fit in the bottom and filled it with damp potting soil.  Chamomile seed is tiny, almost like dust.  



To plant, I scattered the seed over the surface of the moist soil and gently pressed it into the surface.  Next, I sprayed the soil with water using a spray bottle.  You don't want to use a regular plant watering can because the rush of water will wash the seed away.



Next, a very important step is to label the container.  I learned this the hard way.  Don't ask!  It's a bad memory.



Finally, I set the clam shell on a heated mat under lights to give the seed a good start in life.



This is an easy way for the home gardener to use if they want to start their own seed without investing a lot of money in seed-starting trays and equipment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment