Monday, March 30, 2015

Homemade Vegetable Broth

A few days ago I went through my refrigerator and collected all the past-their-prime produce  in the vegetable bin.  This included some wilted celery, a couple of carrots and an onion.  Instead of throwing these in my compost bucket, I made a savory vegetable broth with them that I can use in the future for soup.  Here's how.


 First, chop the vegetables along with a clove of garlic or two.




Put them in a pot.


Add some salt, pepper and seasonings.  Be creative.


Add water and put on the stove to simmer.



When the vegetables are done, taste the broth and adjust seasonings to taste.  Then, pour the broth through a strainer into a jar.



The broth can be stored in the refrigerator for several days.  Or, it can be frozen for use at a later date.

Finally, DO NOT throw the cooked veggies into the trash!  Put them in your compost bucket where they can be recycled into your compost pile.






No comments:

Post a Comment