Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bee Balm

I can't remember for sure when or where I got my "bee balm" plant, but it had been in a large pot for a couple of years when we moved over here to our farm.  I had hoped to get it in the ground last fall, but missed that deadline.  So, it had to wait until this spring.  

While it was in the pot, it never grew very tall or even flowered.  I am actually somewhat surprised that it survived my neglect.  But, being a perennial, its roots are the important part.  If the roots survive, then the plant will grow back.  And, I guess they did because here is a picture of it a couple of weeks ago.

It is one of my garden plants that makes me happy when I look at it.   The flowers are so odd.  Here is a close up of one.

It so happens that Bee Balm (also called Bergamot and Oswego Tea) is native to North America and was used by the Native Americans for medicinal purposes.  The Blackfeet Indians recognized this plant's strong antiseptic action, and used poultices of it for skin infections and minor wounds.

A tea made from the plant was also used to treat mouth and throat infections.  Bee Balm is the natural source of Thymol, an antiseptic which is the primary active ingredient in modern mouthwashes.

Medicinal uses aside, it makes a beautiful plant for the herb garden and attracts bees and hummingbirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment