Friday, July 9, 2010

Kitchen Compost Bucket

For many years I have kept some sort of compost container under my kitchen sink for kitchen scraps ..... coffee grounds, potato and banana peelings, leftover vegetables, etc.  Most of those years, it was just an old plastic bucket of some sort.  I recall I used a container that dishwasher powder came in for a long time.  It got pretty gross after a while in spite of my attempts to keep it clean by washing it every week or so.  

Then, one day this spring, Tom took some recyclable materials down to the Stillwater Convenience Recycling Center at 807 S. Perkins Road.  He was just getting back in his truck to leave when one of the helpers at the center came running out to the truck to give him this green plastic bucket.  He had no idea what it was for, but thanked the person and brought it home.

After some consideration, we decided that it would make an excellent container for kitchen scraps.  In all likelihood, that is probably why they were giving them away.  I immediately disposed of my old bucket and started using this new one.  Here is a picture of it.


As you can see it is a little bigger than our toaster and has an attached lid that snaps into place for a good seal.  It also has a handle making it easy to carry.  I keep it under the sink and really like it. 

Tom only takes the recyclables down there about once a month.  I'm just happy that he hit the day they were giving away these compost buckets!

No comments:

Post a Comment