Monday, August 9, 2010

Yogurt Making

I posted a recipe for making yogurt a couple of weeks ago.  I'm so excited about this that I decided to post directions and pictures of my last yogurt making endeavor.

First, buy the ingredients.  These include a half gallon of low-fat milk, dry milk, maple syrup and a carton of plain yogurt.  These are the brands I used along with a half gallon of Braums milk.


Second, pour the milk into a large pan and heat to 180 degrees (F) stirring occasionally.


Third, after the milk reaches 180 degrees, remove from heat, cover with a dish towel and cool to 110 degrees.  This will take a while.

While you are waiting for it to cool, wash the jars you are going to put the yogurt in and get your yogurt incubator set up.  I use a cast iron pot.  Put a folded dish towel in the bottom and set it in a pan of water.  Cover with a lid and heat the water on low until the inside reaches about 115 degrees.

Fourth, when the milk cools to 110 degrees, add 1/3 cup of powdered milk, 1/3 cup of maple syrup and 1/2 cup of yogurt.  Mix well, pour it into your jars, put lids on the jars and set them in the incubator.  The jars will not be sealed since the yogurt will be stored in the refrigerator.   I lay a small thermometer on top of the jars so I can check the temperature periodically.


Re-cover the pot with the lid and wrap in towels.   You need to be careful if you have a gas stove.  You don't want to cause a fire!  You need to keep the temperature between 110 and 120 degrees for 5-6 hours.  I've found that the cast iron pot holds the heat really well and I rarely have to apply much more heat during incubation to keep the temperature in this range.


I generally do this in the evening and check the temperature just before going to bed.  I might apply a little bit of heat if needed.  Then, I go to bed and dream about the yummy yogurt I will have to eat the next morning.  Here is the finished product.  The yogurt will keep in the refrigerator for 2 - 3 weeks.


Notice that I just use any jars that I have on hand.  You don't have to buy anything special.   The yogurt is just as good as any that you buy in the store and it only has natural ingredients.  No preservatives.   Be adventuresome and give this a try.   You won't be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment