Sunday, September 22, 2013

Make-Do Clothes Drying

A couple of years ago I wrote about my "solar" clothes dryer.

http://windyacresnaturalfarm.blogspot.com/2011/10/solar-clothes-dryer.html

Of course, this was simply made by stringing cotton cord between the posts of our carport and letting the sun do the rest.  Nothing fancy, but it dried a ton of clothes during its lifetime.  I hardly ever used my electric clothes dryer during the summer unless it was raining.

However, we had the old carport replaced this summer.  You can kind of see in the picture displayed in the above link that it was a homemade affair that some previous owner had welded together.  It leaked and wasn't very sturdy, so we decided to have it replaced.  Now, the posts are wooden 6X6 posts and I've not figured out a good way to restring my clothesline between them.  I don't really want screw anything into them.

While I am puzzling over this problem, I've come up with a stop-gap measure that works fairly well.  Here it is.



I can't dry sheets and large items like that on it.  But, I have come up with a way to dry Tom's jeans.  



They dry nicely draped over the patio chairs.  And, his long-sleeved work shirts can be dried on the rack by draping them over 2 of the bars and letting the sleeves hang down the side.

I really need to see about getting a proper clothesline installed, but, for now, I'm perfectly happy with this.  And, since it is almost October, cooler weather will probably soon drive my clothes drying back indoors.  Maybe by next spring, I'll have something better figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment