Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Potato Cake Recipe

One of the things I grew eating was something my mother called "Potato Cakes".  This was a recipe that she made using left-over mashed potatoes.  I don't have the original recipe.  I'm not sure she had one.  She just made them from memory and I ate them.  I didn't cook much growing up and had to sort of learn "by the seat of my pants" after I left home.   I relied heavily on recipes for most things, but there wasn't a written recipe for my mother's potato cakes.  I may have called her and asked how to make them the first time I had left-over mashed potatoes.  I don't remember.  But what I can tell you is this is a great way to use left-overs.

First, beat an egg in a medium size bowl.


Then add mashed potatoes.


Add some seasonings.  Be creative.  If the mashed potatoes had salt in them, then you may not have to add much salt.   I usually add some pepper and hot sauce.  


Mix well and add some flour.  I always add some milk. too.  Otherwise, the batter may be too dry.


For a main dish, add some chopped cooked bacon or ham. 



Next, heat a griddle over medium heat and coat it lightly with vegetable oil.  Then ladle the potato cake batter onto the hot griddle.   You can make them as large or small as you like.


Cook for a couple of minutes until the underside begins to brown.  Then, flip them over.


When they are cooked all the way through (you can kind of tell by looking at the sides), then put them on a plate or platter and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment