Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Rhoda's Yogurt Biscuits

Over the years, I've tried several biscuit recipes and, for many years, I used a buttermilk biscuit recipe that we liked quite well.  However, a couple of years ago a friend of mine gave me a recipe for biscuits that used yogurt instead of buttermilk.  Since I make my own yogurt, I always have several jars on hand.  So, I tried the recipe, was "hooked" and have used this recipe ever since.   Here it is.  I hope you can read my writing!


First, put the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. 


Cut in the butter until it is the size of small peas.  Then add the yogurt, along with enough milk to make a stiff dough.  Turn the dough out on a floured work surface.


Knead a few strokes, just until you can smooth it into a ball.  If you knead it too much, the biscuits will be tough.  


Roll out the dough until it is about half an inch thick.


Cut it into biscuits.  The cutter I use is about 2.5 inches in diameter. For just the two of us, I only make half the recipe and get 6 biscuits.   I get 4 biscuits from the first cutting, gather the scraps together, roll them out and get 2 more.


Put the biscuits on a cookie sheet in a 400 degree oven and bake until golden brown.


Today, I served these with scrambled eggs to which I added crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese.


There is nothing better on a cold winter morning than hot biscuits with lots of butter and jelly! Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I could go with Biscuits (Ordinary, buttermilk, sour dough, wheat, etc) smothered in sausage gravy.

    ReplyDelete