Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pretty Poison

We've had a beautiful fall so far.  With the cooler nights, the leaves on some of the trees are just beginning to change color.  The other day, I noticed the following pretty red leaves on a tree just across the fence line.


The tree appeared to have many dead branches and seemed barely holding on to life.  Because of the previous two years of drought, this has been a common sight this year.  However, upon taking a closer look at this tree, I realized that the tree really was totally dead and that these leaves were not on the tree, but were on a vine growing up the tree.  As it turns out, it was a huge vine of poison ivy!



I know some folks are allergic to poison ivy and just brushing up against it will cause an itchy rash.  But, I can truthfully say that I have never experienced any reaction to it.   However, since I have grandchildren that visit and like to explore about, I decided this poison ivy vine really should go.  They may not have inherited my immunity to it.  

So, I armed myself with gloves (didn't want to tempt fate), clippers and long-handled loppers and cut through all the vines that were snaking their way up the tree.  Since poison ivy will regrow from the roots, I know I'll have to keep an eye out for more growth next spring.  But, at least now I am fore-warned and know it is there.

Here is an interesting link to information about poison ivy:

http://www.poison-ivy.org/html/berries2.htm

Did you know that it has berries?  And that birds eat the berries without any harm?  You, however, should NOT eat the berries!

No comments:

Post a Comment