Monday, October 7, 2013

Spirea Bush

Most of my activities center around our farmers' market business, but I'd like to get some flower beds established around the house.  I've made a small start by planting some spirea bushes along the front of the house beside the porch.  Here is a picture of one of them when it was blooming this summer.


This one has a special story that I'd want to share.  What makes it special is that it came from southern Arkansas, from the "old home place" where I grew up.

I shared a little about the home place in the following blog entry from a several months ago.


This is in a rural area several miles from town.  As you can see from the pictures in the above link, it is quite overgrown now.  But when I was a child, everything was mowed and there was a big garden behind the house that my parents tended.  (Hmmmm, wonder if maybe I inherited the urge to garden from them?)  

My mother didn't have many flowers.....nothing that you could count as a real flower bed.  But, there were lots of daffodils and iris.  She also had a hydrangea bush and a spirea bush.  After she died, we sold the house and land that went with it.  But, before we closed on the property, my sister and I made a trip down there to dig up some of the daffodils and iris to transplant into our yards.   We had forgotten about the bushes and didn't have much room in the car.  However, we were able to dig up a couple of pieces of this spirea bush and fit them in.

We lived in town at the time and I planted my piece in the back yard.  It flourished there for a number of years.  When we sold that house and moved here to the farm, I dug up part of the bush and brought it with me.  It now occupies a place of honor in front of the house and rewards me each year with these beautiful lilac flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment